I so very much believe in the power of the arts in education, but not just for the students who are learning. It’s also very much for the teachers who are teaching! I have seen first hand how arts integration has reignited teachers’ love of teaching, rekindled a flame that was starting to die. In recent years, I have been able to do one of my favorite things in education: provide professional development for teachers in arts integration.
Later today I am Skyping in with a group of teachers at the Concord Montessori and Community School in Mancelona, Michigan. (I am in Hampton, NH.) I am excited to present ideas to these teachers and lead a discussion on how to reintroduce arts integration into their school community. I have put together this outline of resources and links for them and thought it would be nice to share it with all The Inspired Classroom’s readers. So please, take advantage and if you are ever interested in having me speak to your school’s staff or small group of teachers in person or via Skype, please don’t hesitate to contact me!
Part ONE – The Arts and Arts Integration
Arts and Curriculum (AS, ENRICHED by, INTEGRATED with)
Arts Integration Isn’t…
- An afterthought
- A filler
- Something nice
Arts Integration Is…
- Making the arts part of your classroom culture.
- Intertwining the intellect with creativity.
- Creating a safe learning environment for students to collaborate and share.
- Keeping to the integrity of the art form.
- Arts’ Standards AND Content Standards taught simultaneously.
Follow Your Interests and Passions
- Creating community through the Arts – Building relationships
- Effects of Quality Community Building
- Creating a Safe Learning Environment
- Take a class (art or teaching), workshop, or course!
- Feed What You Do
Don’t Be Afraid!
- Face Your Fears of Arts Integration
- Grasp the Opportunity
- AI is authentic learning!
- Example – Erosion Blues
- Be equipped with resources and advocacy.
- Join our Arts Integration online PLC PLaiC
- kick stART to arts integration
- 5 Keys to Teaching with Arts Integration
- Check out our BOOK STORE for arts integration books and ebooks
If you have any questions or needs, please don’t hesitate to contact me!!!